12 September 2010

Pumpkin Season is Coming...

Time for a little change of pace....
Lately, I've been working on a new line of hand dyed woolens that have more vibrant and saturated colors. Instead of my usual bundles of textured wools, these are dyed using a mottling technique over a wonderfully soft natural wool. I think they are incredibly beautiful (but, I'm biased!)
You can see what I've added to my website, so far, here:
Island Brights
I'll have a lot more to add as soon as I can squeeze in some good photography time (sometimes I wish I could clone myself :-).
One of my friends suggested that these new woolens would be perfect for appliqued pieces so I've hunted up some great applique patterns to stock as well.

This little work-in-progress pumpkin piece is proving to be a perfect project to try out some of these wools. It's so easy to do & bunches of fun!
The background is Kona Coffee, the pumpkin is Orange Hibiscus and the leaves are Rain Forest and Palm Leaves. I don't remember what the three colors on the right side are at the moment....I just stuck them on the design board because I'm trying to decide on colors for the smaller details on the piece.

A purist would probably use a nice wool crewel thread for the blanket stitch but, I have a bunch of beautiful hand dyed variegated embroidery floss from Gentle Arts that's just been laying around doing nothing so I put some of it to work!



2 comments:

Susan said...

This is why I purchased your colorful Island brights! I am making a wool witch doll and the bright colors make her so boo-ti-ful! I also use my Gentle Arts floss to applique because they add a personnal touch. I think your photos are always wonderful and show great detail. Susan

Katrina said...

That orange is just perfect and the green really makes the pumpkin pop out!