31 July 2009

Finishing A UFO.... Oak Leaves Tote



Why did I put this beautiful piece away??? Literally, it was stuffed in a bag at the back of my closet for more than a year.


This great Bev Conway pattern was given to me as a prize a couple of years ago by Tammy, of Skip To My Ewe. It's a 2-sided tote (one side is shown) with a nice shape.

Michelle Micarelli did a wonderful job getting me started on it at a workshop hosted by our guild, Wine Country Rug Hookers. Michelle helped me step outside of my color "box" and combine my leafy greens in ways that I would not have on my own...... and, she convinced me to use a #6 cut. This was an important choice because the detail would have been lost with a wider cut.

(It did take a bit of convincing on her part since I'm rather wedded to wide cuts)

So why did I put it away? I've thought about this (since I can't really remember!) and I think that, first, I got distracted by another project and second, this pattern is on Monk's cloth and it was bothering my hand quite a bit to work on it. In retrospect, I should have redrawn it on to linen... live & learn!

Another lesson: When you put away a project, be sure to put all of your wool with it and don't raid that wool for another project. .....took me a week to find the wool! And, of course, I had to dye more of the color I stole for a green pumpkin....what formula did I use for that sparky green???

In a couple of days (once I take a few good photos) I'll post my recent progress on this. I'm very happy with the results and it's going to be great fun to turn it into a tote bag.

2 comments:

moosecraft said...

Looks great Marita! You're right about the 6 cut and the monks... my hand tires from hooking with monks too... so the 6 is not only adding more detail, but it is actually easier on the hands... can't wait to see this all finished and ready for toting some crunchy autumn apples!!! :-)

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Marita, I will be waiting to see your progress! It is wonderful so far... Love the colors you are using.